- Main Menu
- Sub Menu
- Library Services
- Research Support
- Data, GIS & StatLab
- About Us
Yale GIS Accelerator
Monday, May 9 through Friday, May 13, 2022
The program will be virtual.
About the Accelerator
The Yale GIS Accelerator is a one-week GIS instruction program for Yale affiliates who want to learn how to integrate GIS into their research projects, but find it difficult to register for a semester-long course.
Using a guided practice approach, participants will be introduced to tools for analyzing, manipulating, and visualizing spatial data. We will focus on a fundamental understanding of data structures for representing spatial information and different methods to generate insights. At the end of the Accelerator, participants will have a solid foundation in the use of GIS and will be able to:
- Identify and use spatial data types and formats
- Process non-spatial data for mapping (display XY, geocode, join, georeference, digitize new features)
- Produce maps of layered spatial data with appropriate symbology, coordinate systems, legends, etc.
- Understand basic principles of cartography and the uses of 3D visualization
- Perform basic spatial analytic techniques to enhance understanding of spatial data. Examples include spatial join, buffer, intersect, union, compute distances, topographic analysis, and map algebra.
- Understand the basics of spatial statistics (specifically spatial autocorrelation and its effects in OLS regression)
- Use an online sharing system for broad distribution of mapped results
- Identify ethical considerations in GIS analysis, geospatial research, and cartographic visualization, and protect the locational data privacy of research subjects and communities
Jill Kelly is the primary GIS instructor at the Yale School of Public Health. She also teaches GIS in the Government Department of Harvard University, Harvard’s Center for Geographic Analysis, and the University of Pennsylvania’s Environmental Studies Program.
Location: Zoom | Software Used: ArcGIS Pro
- 9 am - 12 pm ET - Morning lectures and labs
- 12 - 1 pm ET - Lunch break
- 1 - 4:30 pm ET - Afternoon lectures and labs
- 4:30 - 5:30 pm ET - GIS Lab support by the Marx Geospatial Team
The Yale GIS Accelerator is designed for those who have a project and dataset, and need support to learn principles of GIS and spatial data management. Registration selection will be based on the necessity of geospatial analysis for their current and proposed projects.
Dates & Deadlines
Program dates: Monday, May 9 through Friday, May 13, 2022
Application deadline: Those interested should apply by April 26, 2022.
Selection: Selected participants will be notified by April 29, 2022, and will be invited to a preliminary data readiness interview in the week of May 2nd
No prior experience with GIS is expected from Accelerator participants. However, working knowledge of Windows is assumed. Mac and Linux users can prepare by learning how to use File Explorer to find and manage files in Windows, launch programs from the Start Menu, unzip downloads, and copy/paste text.
Please send your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application period for the Yale GIS Accelerator is open.